Monday 16 May 2016

LEMONADE



When I first experienced (yes, it was an experience!) Lemonade I fell in love. Not only was it an ode to black women everywhere but it was a perfect representation of strength, resilience and the things only achievable when you decide to take control over your mindset in the face of difficulty and disappointment. 

Something that happened to me recently taught me that even the smallest disappointments can be great lessons. That sometimes the outcomes of negative situations are often dependent on how we choose to handle and respond to them. 


I actually had to shoot this look twice. The first time we shot it the file corrupted, words cant even describe the level of panic I experienced that day. I had just finished shooting and the pictures were lit! Just after we were about to wrap up the SD card went dead. The photo side of  Blogging isn't something that I would say comes particularly naturally to me, I have to work hard to ensure that I don't look like an absolute crust in my pictures. So you can only imagine my heartache after investing time in taking what seemed like decent photos only for them to get lost. 


I spent the rest of the day trying to salvage the photos, trying every electronics shop I could think of but I soon realised that getting these pictures back was just so unrealistic.  At that point I realised I had two options; either give up (throw myself off a cliff) or reshoot. The day I reshot I was in one stank mood. My energy was just so low and it was coming across in the pictures! At that point I said to myself “Chioma, who is forcing you?” I realised that I was wasting my own time worrying about something that was gone, which was ruining the opportunity of fixing things that I had in the present. It was only when I decided to take control of my mindset when things started to get better. 



"Growth Mindset: The belief that the ability to learn is not fixed & failure is not a  permanent condition." 
 - Carol Dweck. 


When things go wrong it’s always so easy to focus on the negatives rather than the positives. Positivity takes work, whereas negativity usually doesn’t. Anything that we’re passionate about or put effort into are usually out of our own doing. No one is forcing us and the world doesn't owe us anything, sometimes files get corrupted, things don't go to plan and people fail us. However, its our responsibility to react accordingly, to make the best out of these situations and salvage what we can. To turn those lemons into one tall glass of lemonade! Giving up means letting yourself and supporters down. Resilience is always the better choice, it equips you to react better in the face of disappointment and you never know who might be inspired by your story.


I hope you enjoyed this post, and it inspires you to make that Beyonce certified lemonade the next time life hands you some lemons. 


Outfit Details: 
JUMPER//TOPSHOP | JEANS//TOPSHOP | SHOES// ZARA |

Love & Light 
Chi 

No comments:

Post a Comment