Sunday 27 September 2015

AN INTERVIEW WITH VOL.1: BISOYE BABALOLA




A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of interviewing Bisoye Babalola, the face behind Re~Angle(formally known as BloTV) the team who brought us Screened Nights and Runner a branding, PR and management consultancy. At just 23 years old she has worked with brands including Westfields, Box Park, Proppercorn and more. We caught up to discuss branding, being your own boss and what advice she'd give to those struggling to find their own path...


Q1. What inspired you to get into business?


I wouldn't say anything especially inspired me to get into it but rather that its just a part of who I am. From a young age I would think of business opportunities and experimented with different business ventures whilst at school and would go to business workshops.  I grew up very much ambitious, and this ambition fuelled me to believe that I could always do what I wanted to do. 


Q2. Can you tell us a little bit more about what you do?

At the moment I'm working on two new ventures;  Re~Angle and Runner.  Re~Angle came about after uni when I was looking for opportunities within media. I set up Re~Angle as an events company that creates a platform to help independent individuals showcase and develop their ideas, one of the ways we have done this is through screened nights, which takes place at Boxpark in Shoreditch.  

While Runner is a PR, management and branding consultancy that works with individuals from different fields. The consultancy is called runner because in every field of work runners are the links between different roles. Runners tend to be courageous and take on different aspects of a business and this represents our brand values.


"I realised that no one was going to give me the opportunities I wanted so I had to create my own."

(Pictures used are from the #ScreenedNights Summer final edition.)
Bisoye at Screened Nights

Q3. Is it hard to create and keep to your own deadlines? 

100% its definitely challenging. I’m learning everyday how focused I have to be in order to achieve and meet my deadlines. Its also important to be realistic with your deadlines, so I make sure to set ones that I known I can achieve. You don’t want to stress your urself unnecessarily. Its a lot of hard work to be in control of yourself and your own business. When you’re working for someone else theres always someone to answer to, someone pushing you to get things done. When you work for yourself there is no one to do that so you have to be even more motivated to get things done. 

Q4.What was your journey like from leaving university to where you are now?

It definitely wasn't an easy one, there was a lot of disappointment. I studied media and 
communications at uni and when I graduated I was very much under the illusion that I would quickly find a job in PR, gain clientele and eventually set up my own PR company.  A route that most people within PR follow. However I found that even with the experience I had I wasn't getting roles that I wanted. I've never been the type of person who waits for a hand out so I knew I had to get proactive. I began experimenting and working on my own projects. Someone once told me that I had a good ear for music, one day I was listening to a song and I really liked it, I contacted the artist and we spoke and I told them how Id love to work with them, they were interested and it took off from there. Thats how I got started within Music PR. 

The thing I've realised is that so many people are reluctant to work for themselves for free. In a sense where if someone offers you an internship in the career that you want but its unpaid you’ll go for it. However, if faced with the prospect of working for yourself for free you wouldn't do it. Why? When I was interning in PR I realised that no one was going to give me opportunities that I wanted,  so I created my own. You have to learn how to create your own opportunities, even if that means working for yourself, for free. 


"The idea of working with big brands [..] is great, but you have to ask yourself,  what am I offering them?" 



Q5. You have worked with a number of brands and companies including Westfields shopping centre, BoxPark and Propper Corn. What advice would you give to those who are interested in getting sponsorship for their events/projects?

You really have to consider what you are adding to their brand. How are you helping them? The idea of working with big or well known brands is great but you have to ask yourself; what am I offering them? You have to be confident that it will be valuable in the eyes of that brand or company. Consider what is so special about your brand and how you can help them expand their market whilst expanding your own. 


For Screened nights I partnered with companies who care about about their customers wellbeing, something which fits with the brand values of my company; which is to help provide services which better peoples lives. When you’re considering which brands to partner with its important to find and contact those who reflect your companies ethos and vision. 


"If you spend your time thinking 'Oh This person is lucky and I'm not'. You will end up no where, your journey is not their journey..."

Q6. What advice would you give to those who may be struggling find their own path?

I would say be fearless because at the end of the day were all just living and we find out what we like and who we are more and more everyday. I don’t have the manual to tell another person how to live their life or find what they want to do but my advice would be to forget what other people might think of you or what you think other people might think of you, its your life.

Explore the things you like till you find that thing that you love whether or anyone supports you or not. You can't wait around for people to support you to make you feel great about yourself. Also learn to make peace with rejection. We all face rejection however it is important that you know how to handle it, if someone says no, then ok, fine. Your next step it to assess what other routes you can take in order to get to where you need to be. Its important to see yourself as a brand and invest in your happiness. Stop waiting for other people to help you, or give you what it is your looking for.  You have to be proactive and help yourself. If I waited for other people to help me I would still be here waiting. 






Q7. Would you say that you are lucky? Or that you believe in “Luck” 

No. I don't believe in luck. What is luck? I don't see myself as lucky at all. In fact if someone is giving it out I want it! I believe that I am blessed everyday to be that alive. People attribute success to financial gains but you have to attribute it to everyday things. You have to be grateful for what you have right now to receive more blessings. Life is so much more than just “Luck.”

If you’re looking at someone and thinking “Oh this person is lucky and I'm not” you will end up no where, your journey is not their journey. We’re all successful in beating life’s everyday challenges, its just that everyone is at different levels of success, but some people aren't afraid to live out their full potential and reach their new level of success. 



You can find Bisoye on IG:@BisoyeBabalola | Twitter: @Bisoye_

"Chiomacezeh"  is all about the celebration of the journey, celebrating those individuals who are about it and identifying what can be learnt from each other. This interview will be the first of many. And as always, let me know your thoughts.

@chiomacezeh


No comments:

Post a Comment