Tuesday 1 December 2015

COMFORT ZONING











They say ignorance is bliss. Yeah, well so are comfort zones! They are the spaces in which  we feel most at ease, spaces in which we are often masters of because we can and know exactly how to operate well within them. They make us feel secure and because of this they naturally flatter our egos. 



The problem with comfort zones or as I like to call it “Comfort Zoning” is that nothing ever grows there. When we refuse to venture from them we are effectively talking ourselves out of opportunities for greatness. 

At the beginning of the year I found myself having to choose between giving up or continuing with my theatre group Intermission Youth Theatre. The environment was very much outside of my comfort zone and initially I STRUGGLED. Often when we step out of our comfort zones we are faced with a lot of negative emotions, we can experience internal conflicts and convince ourselves that we don't have what it takes to do well. In such situations we are given two options; fight or flight. 

My decision to fight has been one of the most rewarding things I could have done for my personal development. If I had given up I wouldn't have been apart of this great movement or achieved all the thing I have through Intermission such as gaining a mentor, and travelling to Switzerland to perform and most importantly gaining a family. When you stick with something you open yourself up to opportunities. This can only be achieved if we firstly believe in our capabilities. Sometimes you just have to “fake it till you make it”. Thats what I did and it paid off. 


Being apart of this play felt like I had achieved greatness, and“Greatness” can be anything that you decide it to be. Comfort zones are necessary because we need spaces that make us feel secure, that we can build our foundations on, the problem arises when we think we can live there. Don't let your anxieties talk you out of your next opportunity. 

 P.S: For those of you who missed the play stay tuned for my visual archive post “The rise and Fall” coming next! 




xChi.


2 comments:

  1. "Don't let your anxieties talk you out of your next opportunity." I love that.

    ReplyDelete